Plains Cheese Ring


This recipe dates back to the 1970's when Jimmy Carter, from Plains, GA, was President. This was his wife's recipe. I have a funny story about this that I'll share. I was helping with a reception for a golf pro at the country club. I was suppose to bring this cheese ring and crackers. I made it ahead of time and stored it in the refrigerator. When it was time to leave for the reception, I grabbed the foil covered cheese ring and got in the car. When we got to the country club, I unwrapped it and it wasn't the cheese ring, it was left-overs!!! Luckily we weren't too far from home, so I sent Sam back to get the real cheese ring! :)


Ingredients: 
1 pound cheddar cheese, very old, sharp finely grated 
1 C mayonnaise 
1 C pecans chopped 
1/2 C onions very finely chopped 
1 t black pepper fresh 
1 dash cayenne pepper 
12 ounces strawberry preserves 
1 box Ritz crackers 


Directions: 
In a mixing bowl, combine cheese with mayonnaise, chopped nuts and onions.Mix in black pepper and cayenne, and blend thoroughly.Press in a 3 cup mold.Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. To serve, dip mold into a pan of hot water for 15 to 20 seconds before turning out onto a serving platter. Fill center with strawberry preserves, and serve at once with Ritz crackers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment