Blueberry Pie #2


During blueberry season I always make at least one blueberry pie to honor the lady that taught me pie baking, my mom. I fondly remember sitting on the kitchen counter watching her make pies. I wasn't there to learn the art, I was there to eat the leftover pie dough! I did learn pie making by all those years of watching!

Ingredients:
3/4 C white sugar
3 T cornstarch
1/4- 1/3 C all purpose flour
1/4 t salt
1/2 t ground cinnamon
4 C fresh blueberries
1 T lemon juice (I substituted key lime juice since that's all I had)
1 T butter
1 pastry recipe for double crust

Directions:
Make pie crust and roll out bottom half and place in pie pan. Clean blueberries by rinsing them and picking out any stems or sticks, then drain in a colander. Mix sugar, cornstarch, salt, and cinnamon and combine with blueberries in large bowl. Gently toss. Pour berry mixture into the crust, and drizzle lemon juice over the berries, then dot with the butter. Roll out top pastry crust and place over blueberries and crimp the edges, being sure the top crust seals under the bottom crust to prevent boil overs. Make slits in the top of the pie to allow steam to escape. Place aluminum foil strips around the outside of the crust to prevent it from burning during the first half of the baking time. Place pie in refrigerator for at least 1/2 hour or longer. Remove pie from refrigerator and place on a baking sheet, just in case you have a boil over. Then place it in a 425 degree preheated oven and bake it for 35-45 minutes until the crust is golden, then remove foil around the edges and continue baking for another 15 minutes. Cool on cooling rack at least 2 hours. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Yummie!

No comments:

Post a Comment