Strawberry Freezer Jam

One of the sites that I follow online, Pinch My Salt, had strawberry freezer jam posted for this week. Since strawberries were on sale at my local grocery store, and I've made this before, I figured that would be a good post for this week and I'd get to enjoy some homemade jam. I looked online for the easiest recipes and printed out a couple. Upon return from the grocery store, I discovered that the easiest recipe was the one right on the fruit pectin I picked up at the store, Mrs. Wages No Cook Freezer Jam. 




This recipe makes 5 1/2 pints or about 5 cups. Wash and soak your strawberries (I got 4 containers) in the sink. I like to soak them for a long time, over an hour and keep pushing them down into the water. This really helps get all the sand/dirt off of them. Cut the tops off of the berries and put them into a large bowl. Using a sharp circular chopper (I don't know the real name), chop up the berries so they are very fine and swimming in their own juices.
In another bowl measure out 1 1/2 cups sugar or Splenda No Calorie Granular Sweetener. To that add one packet of Mrs. Wages Freezer Jam Fruit Pectin. Stir the sugar and pectin together to combine well. Into it add the crushed fruit and stir for 3 minutes. Then ladle the fruit mixture into clean jars or clean plastic freezer containers. Let them stand for 30 minutes to thicken, then refrigerate them up to 3 week or freeze up to 1 year. Thaw in the refrigerator before using the frozen jam. 


You can use the recipe for strawberries, raspberries or peaches, fresh or frozen. The back of the fruit pectin package tell you how much fresh or frozen fruit to buy and offers additional fruit suggestions at http://www.mrswages.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment